Friday, September 18, 2009

Inspiring the next generation

Today I had the awesome privelage of giving a talk about guitars to a 7th grade class in a school near where I live.
A very good friend of mine Chris scholes is a teacher in the school and over the last few months I think Chris has been telling the kids about Bahamut the dragon guitar and my antics in China with Leehom.
The kids had an opportunity to do a school project so they chose to design guitars so I guess thats where it all falls into place for me to be invited there.
I have spoken in front of a few hundred adults before but there was something even more intimidating about a bunch of 10 year olds.
I turned up at the school with a travel guitar, my new electric bass and to get them really excited I took along the Alien. Well you can imagine the reactions when I unpacked the Alien. I had gone in there with a plan of what to say but from word go I just got interigated with questions so it kind of took care of itself.
I showed them some pics of guitars and talked about how I design guitars and even had Chris put the bass between 2 chairs and sat on it to show how strong my guitars are. That really got the kids excited because to put it politely Chris is a big guy, actually he is a really big guy. Thankfully the guitar held out and the kids got a laugh.
Then I told them the story about Bahamut and Leehom and I showed them a Clip of a Leehom concert, well that really got them going. It was amazing to see a class of Irish kids taking so much interest in Chinese music.
It was a great day and a great privelage to be able to share my experiences with the kids and hopefully inspire them a little. The cardboard guitars they had made were great and full of imagination. Brings back memories of my childhood making mock up guitars when I was about 10!
I think I will do this sort of thing again!
Alistair

No comments:

Post a Comment