Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Sound Check Beijing

Beijing 21/8/09

I have the best seat in the house! I am currently inside the stadium listening to the rehearsal. We are in the workers stadium which is a large soccer stadium. Its been a great day meeting everyone again and just catching up.

it’s a weird vibe here because the local police have such a strong presence. They are dotted all around the stadium and marching too and fro for reasons that weren’t apparent. All day they were keeping people off the pitch in the centre of the stadium as if it were sacred ground. Even Jim was getting chased as he checked the sound levels in the centre of the pitch but now the sun has set and I have made my way silently out to the centre circle where I am watching this private show. I have been told to move a few times but I just refused and they surprisingly left me alone. A couple of minutes ago 8 soldiers marched across the field to me in perfect sync and proceeded to scold at me in Chinese. I thought the game was over but weirdly another guy came over and said something and they all marched off and left me all alone on the field. It is an awesome feeling sitting on the grass in what now is a dark stadium with only the stage lights filtering back onto my vantage point.

I cant believe I am here in Beijing. This is an awesome privilege and something I could never have imagined could have happened to a guy from a small town in Ireland. Its just so unlikely being here in the land of the dragon as the builder of what is currently the most famous dragon in China. Thank you Leehom.

I have been sitting here thinking I was not seen but just a second ago the flood lights came up on the pitch to leave me looking like a rabbit caught in the headlights. Leehom just waved and said high Alistair through the PA. Now theres a memory!

1 comment:

  1. HI Alistair,
    We were outside the stadium when we heard Leehom say "Hi Alistair"! Cool!There were so many people dying to get in to watch the rehearsals!!

    ReplyDelete